Monday, January 22, 2018

8-Minutes Memoir: Cease and Desist

That's actually not the prompt. But I'm shifting gears. I want a different focus for my posts. I like the idea of having a topic given to me, and I like the idea of limiting the time, so I'm still taking prompts from an outside source. I'm bumping the writing time allowed to 10 minutes.

Today: What is your biggest guilty pleasure?

I actually don't know the answer to this, so there may be some groping going on as I try to figure it out. I love getting up in the morning before anyone else and having quiet time. I'll browse websites. Sometimes I'll pay bills or write email, but most of the time, I just do whatever I want to. It's nice to not feel that I have to do anything in that moment, and that if I do, I'll be disturbing those who want to sleep, so it's fine for me to quietly do nothing.

I love buying flowers for other people. When my budget allows it, I'll find excuses to send them to people. If you're my child or someone I love, flowers are standard birthday presents. Alex got a dozen white roses this month because those are his favorite.

I love being alone. There's something wonderful about just being in one's own company. I attribute this need to years of practicing for hours. I learned to concentrate and immerse myself in the music I was learning. I also got very used to not being with other people for hours at a time. And I like having time to myself even when I have nothing planned.

I love cooking with coconut milk. Dairy if mostly off-limits to me, so cream sauces and cheeses and all those goodies other people swoon over don't appeal to me. Or rather, I know if I eat them, I'll be sick for far too long, and I hate being sick. So any appeal that might initially present itself is quickly nipped in the bud. Coconut provides creamy sauces and is a vehicle for many different spices and herbs. I use it far too often to be healthy. Sometimes I substitute the coconut cream for the milk which means I doubled the calories and fat and negated any possible nutrition in the foods. It's worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment