Saturday, March 2, 2019

What Happened Next

I didn't get better for a very long time. I was ill until May, at which point, my sinuses had had it. I started getting nosebleeds that lasted longer and longer until I ended up in the ER where they tried several different ways to stop the blood and ended up shoving packing up my nose. The pain was immense. And when the packing was removed a few days later, the bleeding started again. Fortunately, I was being seen by an ENT who knew how to cauterize and who very gently removed the packing (still hurt beyond words).

And then I finally started getting better, probably because school was out and I was no longer being showered with germs from 500 students every day.

I started looking for a new job immediately. I couldn't face another year like the last one. And through the help of Gareth, I was able to land a job at the Huntsman Cancer Center. It was a pay cut, but the benefits (including retirement) were amazing. And I was now in the University of Utah health system which allowed me to see the surgeon of my choice about my ailing hip.

Today I'm 8 weeks post-surgery and sporting a matching set of bionic hips. Everything went well and I'm in the process rebuilding. I ran right up until the day of surgery. Now I'm focusing on bodybuilding and preparing to run again. And I liked my new job so much, I called Chris and encouraged him to apply. His cubicle is right by mine now.

I've been well for almost a year now. I'm still not sure I'll ever catch up on everything I missed out on, and my house might never be clean again. But I'm well. I feel better. I have a good job where I'm valued. Now, if would just stop snowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment