Friday, April 24, 2015

Surgery can have complications.

It's been a month since my gall bladder was removed. Eating has been easier. Life has been better. Then Tuesday rolled around this week. I was sitting on the couch when I realized I was having pain around my navel. That's the site from which the gall bladder was removed. But it's been a month. I decided to just go to bed.

Wednesday the pain was worse and extended from my belly button upward about three inches. By the afternoon I was having pain when I stood up after sitting. That didn't seem good, so I called my surgeon's nurse who made an appointment for me on Friday. Yesterday the pain increased to the point that I was not really functioning at all. Natalie took me to the emergency room where they poked me, took tons of blood, did a CT scan, and gave me drugs that took away the pain and also my ability to move, speak, or think.

The tests came back and showed a very healthy me. Surprise!

Today my surgeon checked me over and this is the diagnosis: My body hates stitches. Apparently the dissolvable stitching inside of me takes about three months to be gone, and in the meantime, my muscles are rebelling. The stitches have caused some bleeding and swelling (read: PAIN). So I'm told to continue as much physical activity as my body will tolerate (currently none), take NSAIDS every 4 hours, and use ice to help control the swelling. If the pain isn't reduced drastically or gone in two weeks, I'm looking at more surgery. My brain can't figure out what that means, exactly, since I'm still going to have to have stitches of some sort.

In the meantime, I'm not loving the time necessary for practicing. I have many performances in the next couple of weeks. I'm really hoping the pain eases up by Monday.

Also, the weather is gorgeous right now. I need to be out running.

No comments:

Post a Comment